[MAPSERVER-USERS] Debian Oracle10g OCI

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 09:16:56 EDT 2008

Umberto is right, for Mapserver to connect to Oracle you need to specify that capability at compile time.  But for you ge tthat far I think you need to make sure that some of the basics work.

Also, if you cannot connect to Oracle via SQL*Plus (assuming the binary is installed) you have other problems including but not limited to:
- needing to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include all the libraries.  This may also need to be done in Apache while running mapserver to access Oracle.
- needing to configure your TNSNAMES file.
- check firewall setting in order to make sure you can connect on 1521 (or whatever port you are using for Oracle).

Generally, when running an Oracle layer, you want to try the following diagnostic steps:
1) Use SQL Developer to connect to the database (it has it's own drivers built in, so there's no software dependency issues).  This will resolve whether or not the databas is working.
2) On the machine, try connecting with SQL Plus.  This will determine whether or not you have your client configured correctly.  Do not move on until this works.
3) Try and re-compile Mapserver with Oracle Spatial.  At the end of the ./configure script there is an output screen, ensure that you see Oracle is turned on, otherwise scroll up in the screen and see what's missing.