RE:[mapserver-users] Mapfile Editor - MSCompanion version 1.0 beta2is available

enri enri at 163.com
Thu Apr 16 22:04:18 EDT 2009

Nelson Correia,

Thank you very much for your information, I will try my best to get rid of the bugs you mentioned, and resolve the rest problems in the coming version by enhancement.

And, some words to explain some problems item by item:

>Regarding the preview problem, the preview is now shown on the layer tree, but it still doesn't appear on the "Style Properties" dialog. I hit the preview button, but nothing happens.
about  preview problem, it is caused by the invalid path of layer data, if MSCompanion can not figure out where the data is, this problem could happen.  You are encouraged to use the dialogs to set the paths of layers specifics, and save the result, problems should disapear next time you open the saved file.

>I am tracking some bug, problems and features I find useful and here are them:

>- I always have to change the map properties to use absolute paths and then to use relative paths again, in order to use MSCompanion. This
>is a little bit annoying, since I have to do this every time I start MSCompanion.

I suggest you use absolute paths and save it, next time you may need not do that again. But I will try to repeat the problem and find a resolution.

>- When I edit a layer/class and cancel my edition, why do it redraw the map? I have several large shapefiles and it is stressfull when I
>cancel my changes and still have to wait a few seconds to continue working.

Yes, that's a problem now, I will fix it.

>- The mouse scroll doesn't work pretty well on the MapFile text editor.

Yes, it's true. Frankly I don't find a way to satisfy myself by now, as a compensation, you can use the scroll bar by the time.

>- The update button on the text editor became desabled when I click it and then cancel the update.

I will test it.

>- The layers tree is not updated when I add a class/layer through the text editor.

Yes, when you update the mapfile by text editor, you must reopen the file to view the changes on map.

>- I think it should be a way of updating the information from the mapfile, for exemple to allow us to edit it with an external editor and
>see the changes in MSCompanion without restarting it.

Good suggestion, but in my mind it is a little difficult by now, I will consider that in the future versions.

I got this from http://www.mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-45.html?highlight=rfc, but I don't know if it is implemented.

>- I think that would be very useful the ability to do pan on the map. Currently it is a little bit difficult to change the view port
>mantaining the scale.

You are correct, I will do that.

Thanks again.

Best regards,