[mapserver-users] Using nquery/mapxy/TOLERANCE/TOLERANCEUNITS

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Oct 1 13:25:26 EDT 2009

Steve,

   So the alternative to using imgxy is to send mapserver:
      mapxy and mapext and imgext (where mapext=imgext) and imgsize?
Hmm, I think I tried that, but I'll take a closer look.

Sounds like the better solution is just to change Geomoose to use imgxy.

Thanks!
Brent Fraser

Steve Lime wrote:
> It's possible to use mapxy in conjunction with TOLERANCEUNITS PIXELS but you
> have to understand how pixel size is computed for it to work as expected. The
> assumption is that there's a map associated with the point query and it's defined
> by a map extent, a width and a height.

I thought that was imgext and imgsize?

> So, you'd need to define those somehow
> too. If not explicitly set as part of a query the defaults in the mapfile are used which
> is where things could get convoluted. I can't recall what happens if you define
> mapxy AND mapext with mode=nquery though, which takes precedence in setting
> the query method? (looks ambiguous in the code)

Could be a implementation/support headache...

> Practically speaking, if a query or whatever is associated with a map image regardless
> of client environment I *always* use imgxy, imgext and imgsize and populate those
> from the client and let MapServer do the conversion. Works fine with the environments
> I use frequently (e.g. OL and dBox). This site does it extensively via OL:

I'm off to hack GeoMoose!