[mapserver-users] mapserver 5.6beta1: mindistance notworkingproperly?

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Fri Oct 2 03:35:53 EDT 2009

Hi Steve, Hi Alan,

exactly, that was the change I also noted in trac. When I realized the
effect, I reverted the last condition in maplabel.c. line 515, to its
previous state, only comparing the distance of the points with
mindistance. With the expected results, that I even got some more
labels. So basically the change is working, but I see a lot more
labels than with 54.

Here are three screenshots of the effect:
- http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7871/mindistlabelsms54.png
- http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1130/mindistlabelsms56.png
- http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5196/mindistlabelsms56wolabe.png
(MS56 without taking the labelsize into account)

The maps are based on the osm data example, and as you can see it
renders flawlessly with mapserver 54. Maybe someone who also uses this
example can have a try with mapserv56 and see if it is the same. The
mindistance used is 150 px. The calls to images were getMap requests.

Thanks, Michael

2009/10/1 Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us>:
> Michael, can you describe the effect you're seeing? The change Alan refers to
> should cause you to see fewer labels but your original message leads me to
> believe that's not the case. If you remove that option with the 5.6 beta does
> the map look different?
>
> Steve

> In fact, that ticket changed the label distance calculation. Before, only the
> distance between label1 point and label2 point was calculated. Now, the label
> size is taken into account for the distance calculation. So, we are now sure
> that there is really the "mindistance" value between our labels.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan
>
> On October 1, 2009 10:20:11 am Alan Boudreault wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you check that ticket please:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3050
>>
>> Let me informed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alan
>>
>> On October 1, 2009 10:12:57 am Steve Lime wrote:
>> > I'm not aware of any changes in that area of the code although something
>> > tells me there was a small change but will try and create a test case.
>> > Thanks for the testing...
>> >
>> > Steve

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > thanks for the 5.6 beta1. I'm pretty curious about the new mapfile
>> > xml-format.
>> >
>> > I have a mapfile that uses MINDISTANCE in label objects, the maps and
>> > labels are generated fine with mapserver- 5.4, with
>> > mapserver-5.6-beta1 the MINDISTANCE value seems not to be taken into
>> > account. Can anyone confirm this behaviour?
>> >
>> > Cheers, Michael
>>

> --
> Alan Boudreault
> Mapgears
> http://www.mapgears.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-akademie.de/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Schulz
mschulz at webgis.de

in medias res

+++ Bitte beachten Sie unsere neue Adresse und Durchwahl +++

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

+++ Bitte beachten Sie unsere neue Adresse und Durchwahl +++

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de