[mapserver-users] Help Serving Tiled Tiffs

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Oct 4 02:41:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

I guess your BBOX in not quite right.  Try giving in in order easting-northing for WMS 1.1.0.  Or try what happens by changing WMS version to 1.3.0, which accepts northing-eatings.

Adding MS_ERRORFILE to map level and DEBUG 5 to layer level definitions in the mapfile gives often useful information about what really happens.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Daniel Walton wrote:

Thanks to all of you who've been helping me learn the ropes. I am getting
close (I hope) to being able to serve up on-the-fly-generated remote sensing
imagery using GDAL and MS. I am using the latest MS4W distribution with GDAL
1.6. I have taken Tiff images and tiled and created overviews using Frank's
suggestions:
gdal_translate -co TILED=YES in.tif out.tif
gdaladdo out.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64
When I request an image using a web browser like:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=R:\Temp\Test\A091003033655.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetMap&
SRS=EPSG:4326&BBOX=36.141921,-121.788916,36.324769,-121.565064&FORMAT=image/tiff&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256&STYLES=&LAYERS=TEST_SWIR_TILED
all I get is a white image. The BBOX parameter is the same as my mapfile
extents, which is the same as the imagery bounds. The projections are the
same as well (EPSG 4326).

Questions:

   1. Can I pull up an image this way in a browser (using FF 3.5)
   2. If so, what am I doing wrong?
   3. What are some other points of validation I can perform to break down
   the testing a bit more?
   4. What needs to be done to be able to view the WMS images in Google
   Earth or ArcGIS explorer (e.g. adding querystring arguments via a proxy
   handler, etc?)

Thanks again MS community. I look forward to someday joining the ranks.

-Dan

My Mapfile looks like this:

MAP
  EXTENT 36.141921 -121.788916 36.324769 -121.565064
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  IMAGETYPE gif
  SIZE -1 -1
  STATUS ON