[mapserver-users] Drawing points with a FGS installation

Alex G. unseen.wizard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 06:58:23 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the incorrect list but I would like to ask for advice
on how to implement my idea.

I've been fiddling with a FGS installation of MapServer and things seem to
be going pretty well: I was able to display some shapefiles I was sent using
the Gmap example but now I need to able to draw points on the map - meaning
that if a user clicks on the map, a dot/pin appears on the map.

The idea is to able to record that pin and the layers (that were enabled at
the time) and save them to a database and later show that data on the map
itself.

But first things first, how could I go about placing points/pins? I am
guessing I am going to need a toolset? I was told that OpenLayers might be
able to do what I am asking but it looks a bit complicated for me (setting
MapServer as WMS etc).
Is there something else out there that might do what I want?

The second part of my application would save that data to a database and
then display them, but that's the second step, I am interested more into
getting the points/pins on the map first.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

ps. Apologies if the questions seem silly but I have very little experience
with MapServer.