[mapserver-users] Drawing points with a FGS installation

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Oct 6 08:32:29 EDT 2009

If you don't need the placing of points to be a web-based application,
you might want to try either qgis or udig.  Both will allow you to
create GIS data that you can then use in mapserver to display.

If you need it to be a web-based application, then your best bet is to
use OpenLayers.  Despite the apparent learning curve, it really is not
all that difficult to get mapserver working with OpenLayers.

Getting MapServer to work as a WMS server is actually trivial - all
you really need is to make sure your map has a PROJECTION defined
using an epsg code and you add some METADATA blocks with at least
wms_title and wms_srs.  There are some excellent documents on how to
do this at mapserver.org

Getting started with OpenLayers is even easier, there are a huge
number of examples with clear descriptions and code and the users
mailing list is very helpful.

Cheers

Paul