[mapserver-users] Glacier symbology

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Oct 12 22:54:29 EDT 2009

I'm looking for an open source pixmap to represent glaciers on a map set
I'm making. I'd like something more interesting than flat white, too.
Something like the attached image (which I can't use because it's from a
COTS GIS):

pixmap for "glacier"

I can make my own, of course, but if one exists already, and it can
expand into a seamless repeating pattern like this one, I'd rather use
that and spend the time saved to work on something new.

I dropped by the Symbology Exchange on the MapSeerver Wiki
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/SymbologyExchange) but
unfortunately that was a great idea that sank without bubbles. There
hasn't been any activity there for about a year, and there's not one
pixmap to exchange yet. I think all that page needs is some regular
exposure to air to let people know it exists, and then the content will
come. So if you're looking for YARRTS (yet another railroad track
symbol, the digital cartographer's "hello world") or you seek a little
world fame, this is one place to share your symbols!

So if anyone has, or knows where to find, a pixmap that whispers
"glacier" directly into the mind of the viewer, and you're willing to
share it, please let me know.

TIA,

--
- Bill Thoen