[mapserver-users] Problem with libjpeg

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Oct 19 10:18:34 EDT 2009

Alan Hale wrote:
> Many thanks Andy
>
> I had already determined (I'm sorry I wasn't clear) that libjpeg.so.7
> was present in /usr/local/lib/ and tried config
> --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib/ and still got the same error. The .h files
> are in both /usr/include/ and /usr/local/include/
>
> ldconfig is new to me and I get "command not found" on my system (CentOS
> 5 by the way).
>
> /etc/ld.so.conf just has one line to include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf and
> when I look in ld.so.conf.d there is only one file: mysql-i386.conf
>
> Due to my inexperience, I'm sure, I remain very confused.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Alan

If you post your responses at the bottom, it'll keep messages much more readable.

ldconfig is probably in /sbin, and you'll need to be root to run it.

The compiler found the .h files and all the other stuff it needed to compile because it was given paths to /usr/local/*, but when you run the program it needs to find the shared  lib's (*.so).  /etc/ld.so.conf tells the runtime where to search for shared lib's.

Your ldconfig will look in each file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and read all the paths in each file, and look in each path. (one file could contain multiple paths)  Create a new file in there (call it local.conf, or user.conf, or bob.conf, or whatever).

If you 'cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/mysql-i386.conf' you'll probably see one line:
/usr/lib/mysql

In the same manner create a local.conf with just one line:
/usr/local/lib

then as root run:
ldconfig

(or /sbin/ldconfig)

(root usually has /sbin in its path, where a normal user does not).

-Andy