[mapserver-users] Any ways to increase performance of Mapserver?

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Wed Oct 21 03:42:06 EDT 2009

Hello, sorry for this noobie question, but I have been running mapserver
as a cgi process and sometimes I need to make lots of calls to it to get
the data I want. I have used TileCache to get the layers I need and
which don't change over time and it speeds things up considerably.

I was wondering - is it possible (and is it more efficient?) to run
mapserver as fast-cgi? Would it increase speed? The mapserver in the
cgi-bin directory is already a binary file - so I'm not sure if fast-cgi
would do any good.

Also, would I have any extra speed benefits if I make WMS queries
instead of regular cgi queries?

Thank you,
Adrian