[mapserver-users] TileCache 2.10 - MapServer 5.2

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Oct 21 06:31:06 EDT 2009

Hi,

I haven't used Tilecache yet, but I have understood that Mapserver does
not need to know anything about Tilecache.  Tilecache program is just a
normal user for Mapserver and the same mapfile that works for normal WMS
usage works also for Tilecache.  Tilecache must be configured to find
Mapserver and the layer that is to be cached.   What happens is that WMS
client that can utilise tiles is sending tiled WMS request to Tilecache
(not directly to Mapserver).  If Tilecache finds a cached image for the
request it is sending it without calling Mapserver at all.  Only if
image is missing from cache Tilecache is passing on the request to
Mapserver.  When the same request comes again Tilecache finds it from
disk and Mapserver can have a rest.  But with non- tiling aware programs
like GIS software tilecache does not help anything, because they are
sending WMS requests which have every time different bbox and output
image size. Tiling WMS clients are sending standardized calls which
support caching, like the following

/cgi-bin/tilecache.cgi?LAYERS=Landsat742&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUE
ST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=ima
ge%2Fjpeg&TRANSPARENT=true&TILED=true&TILESORIGIN=1229757.5465712,813973
4.3664411&SRS=EPSG%3A900913&BBOX=2909757.5465712,8679734.3664411,2929757
.5465712,8699734.3664411&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256 HTTP/1.0" 200 22835

As I said, I have not user Tilecache myself and I may give misleading
information.

There is a MS4W download called Tilecache MapServer (WMS-C tilecache
through MapServer), you can find it from
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=downloads.html
I have been thinking that it must be worth having a look.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

	Maria Neywell  wrote:

	Hi Jukka,

	I don't have generated tiles.

	I simply want to get, for example, a WMS layer that uses
tilecache when I need to display it.

	Regards,

	Maria