[mapserver-users] PHP Mapscript delivers map with larger extent than requested

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Sun Oct 25 00:00:01 EDT 2009

Hi Chuck,

I don't know exactly how your mapserver request is and what parameters
your pass through... but I would suggest you do a quick test by adding
the following repository to your Ubuntu system (hopefully you are
running under hardy, intrepid or jaunty):
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable

That repository has MapServer 5.4.2. I would say that if your "unknow
application" uses the same extent unit (meter, degree, etc..) than your
MapServer mapfile... the extent should be respected.

Alan

Chuck Jungmann wrote:
> I am a new user of MapServer, using version 5.0.3 from the Ubuntu
> repositories.  I attempted to compile everything from source, had some
> trouble, then decided to use the repository shortcut at least until I
> understood how the application works.
>
> I am writing an application where the browser requests a map by setting
> the src attribute of an img object.  Identifying locations on the
> resulting map requires that the application knows the extent.
>
> I calculate the extent of the map from various values, and use the same
> algorithms on the server so the browser and the server agree on the
> dimensions without having to negotiate.  However, when I request the map
> from MapServer, the extent of the resulting map is always larger (both x
> and y dimensions) than what I requested, although still centered on the
> same point.
>
> Is this behavior normal (I don't want to beat my head against the wall
> searching for an irrelevant math error)?  Is there some setting that
> might cause MapServer to more closely match my requested extent?  Could
> this be an error that was fixed in a more recent version of MapServer?
>
> Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
>
> Chuck Jungmann

Alan Boudreault
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/