[mapserver-users] OSM data rendering using Mapserver

Ali_ ali_informatics at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 08:18:03 EDT 2009

Hi,
I am new to MapServer and wanted to render OSM data through that. I followed
the tutorial
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData
but unfortunately I am unable to run it at the final stage. I am on the last
step where I use 'make' command to compile osm.map file as an output but
something seems wrong. I am getting 3 syntax errors in makefile. Now I am
using Borland C++ compiler make utility. Before that I tried with TC
compiler make utility. I was getting 5 syntax errors before but now its only
3. So I have some points in my mind which if you could clarify.

1) The other map files such as landuse, buildings and highways have not MAP
keyword at the start of each file. Though I tried with this but still
couldn't get it working.
2) The osm_line and osm_road table have not been assigned the primary key
while conversion using osm2pgsql and where we query in the map file we use
USING UNIQUE osm_id which may be incompatible and may be make is unable to
give the result.
3) The first line in the makefile CPP=cpp tells about the compiler we are
using. Could you tell me which exactly is the compiler I should use.

I shall be grateful if I could get some comments from you. Thanking you in
anticipation.

Cheers,
Ali