[mapserver-users] Re: Raster Strategies Examples

Edi.Karadumi edikaradumi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 09:04:29 EDT 2010

Thanx to you my questions are comming to an end

Three more last things

Should i retile the new mosaiced overview? Meaning should i create smaller
size tiles of the new mosaic? or 2Gb is not a problem

And how can i find in which scale should i switch layers? So what will be
the maxscale of the original layer?

if ill still have performance problems, or ill get 1-2 terabytes of data
more should i make another mosaic with 0.08*16 or 0.08*8, or is there
another strategy?

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Frank Warmerdam [via OSGeo.org]
<ml-node+5440051-1962745825-182671 at n2.nabble.com> wrote:
Edi.Karadumi wrote:
> Sorry to bother again, when i use gdal_merge.py the part -ps 160 160,
> thats
> the pixel dimension and i get an image 1kb. The pixel size of the original
> file is 0.08 meters. So i think i should use 0.08x32 in the gdal_merge.py
> command?

Edi,

If the original resolution is 8cm then the 1/32nd overview should indeed
have a pixel size of 0.08x32 or 2.56m.

 > And how many tiles should i merge together? Now i have 2T images
 > and 2000Gb/32 = 62Gb the rezult image. Should i merge them all together
and
 > than recreate tiles? Even if i had 1200gb, 1200/32=37.5gb for an image
not
 > 1gb. That is still an image size that cant be handled

Note that the 1/32nd overview is reduced by a factor of 32 in x and y
so overall it will be original_size/(32*32).  So 2TB would reduce to
about 1.95GB.

Best regards,