[mapserver-users] multiple labels? also, symbols forced to display within a polygon?

Robert Hollingsworth reh2 at prodigy.net
Fri Sep 24 15:45:48 EDT 2010

Are there definitive statements somewhere in the mapserver/mapscript
documentation on whether/how multiple labels, with their own string
content, color, font, placement, etc., can ALL be simultaneously displayed
on each placed feature within a layer?  I've seen some hints that this can
be done, but the infrastructure does not seem to support it.

I'm doing some rather 'brittle' things with php-mapscript ShapeObj,
and it appears my attempts to do multiple things with Labels and
Classes results in the last such action effectively overwriting previous
actions on the same ShapeObj.  So I want between zero and four labels to
appear per feature, but only one does.

Really, I'm just trying to display multiple symbols, between zero and five
per polygon feature, depending on client app params, and that basically
works, BUT it does not appear that symbol placement exploits the scheme
used in label placement where the polygon centroid is rejected as
placement point if said centroid is not within polygon.

Any suggestions or doc refs appreciated,
Thanks,
Robert H