[mapserver-users] error in raster layer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 8 15:38:58 EDT 2011

On 11-04-08 01:41 PM, morteza shabihkhani wrote:
> Frank
>
> Thank you for your response. In fact, I'm not very familiar with binaries, but
> as I remember, I had installed GDAL/OGR before I installed Mapserv. How can I
> check that my installation process was correct?

Morteza,

I suggested using the command "mapserv -v" to get the version information
which includes things like "INPUT=GDAL" if GDAL input support for rasters
is supported.   I don't think GDAL is picked up automatically when building
from source though I'm not sure.

> about the path, I have provided the path in my mapfile and the mapfile call
> this layer (in separate file). To make sure I replaced another shapefile
> (polygon layer) in the same path into this layer, and it worked.

Shapefiles and raster files use subtly different rules, and the shapefile
layer type is distinct in that an extension is not required.

> Also, I'm
> using linux, which I think doesn't need extension for files, but anyway my
> layer file has the extension of ".lay". In addition, for the polygon layer with
> the same situation every thing is working very well. Thanks a lot.

GDAL does not support ArcGIS layer files (I'm guessing this is what
your .lay file is).  And if the file has an extension then you must
specify it (on linux or Windows).  And vectors aren't the same as
rasters.

Best regards,