VS: [mapserver-users] Mapserver search performance

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Apr 11 04:20:12 EDT 2011

Hi,

Shptree will help and stopwatch will tell you how much. Without spatial
index Mapserver needs to go through the whole shapefile every time. Have
a try, it will not take very many seconds to run shptree. Make different
requests, take times with and without .qix files and you will some
numbers. Change the requests and request order (query 1 with
.qix/withour qix, query 2 without .qix/with .qix) so that you can see if
you are actually testing the speed of disk access and memory cache
access and not the effect of having spatial index.
By adding DEBUG 5 for your layer you don't need stopwatch but you'll get
timings into ms_errorfile.

-Jukka Rahkonen-