[mapserver-users] how to install PHP MapScript extension on Windows wihtout Ms4w ?

Vinc v.billard at ellipsa.com
Mon Apr 18 07:58:17 EDT 2011

Hello,

For our development, I'd really like to use the wonderful and promising PHP
MapScript extension.

I'm developing under Windows, the final application is hosted on a Linux
server.

It theoretically should be no problem since MapServer and its PHP MapScript
extension are available under both Linux and Windows.

Unfortunately PHP MapScript for Windows is only provided with the Ms4w
package. Ms4w  is a Windows installation that bundles several tools
including (but not only) Apache, PHP, MySQL.

But I have already my own WAMP (stands for Windows+Apache+MySQL+Php)
configuration (it's Wampserver 2.1e), and the Ms4w bundle is too much for
me.

So I've tried to isolate the PHP MapScript extension from Ms4w package.
Unfortunately without success.

I've downloaded Ms4w last version 3.0.2, it has PHP 5.3.6, (I have PHP
5.3.5).

I've copied the "php_mapscript.dll" under my own "ext" directory and I've
added the line "extension=php_mapscript.dll" in my "PHP.ini" file, and I
have the error message when restarting Apache:

***

PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
"./php5.3.5/ext/php_mapscript.dll". The specified module could not be found

***

It's clear that the "php_mapscript.dll" file has dependencies with other
DLLs, but which ones?

In Ms4w, the "README_INSTALL.txt" file has a section "K. Installing the MS4W
MapServer Binaries in Other Environments". Unfortunately this section is not
up-to-date because all the listed DLL are not included in the Ms4w package.
And even if I copy all DLL from the "cgi-bin" and 'ext' of Ms4w directories
and copy them to my own "cgi-bin" directory, then I have the same result.
Idem if I copy all those DLLs under my "ext" directory.

Does anyone have already faced this problem? Would you know if it's possible
to have an up-to-date "howto" that explain how to install PHP MapScript for
Windows in an independent PHP environment? And is it possible to know the
dependencies of "php_mapscript.dll"?

Regards,

Vinc