[mapserver-users] free() methods in MapScript, compatibility MS 5.x and 6

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Fri Apr 29 09:13:53 EDT 2011

Hi Armin,

Although I'm not sure if the free call was useful... since it was only
removing the php object from a global list but the object was not really freed
until the end of the script... I would suggest to simply add a such condition
"if ms_version < 6 ... obj->free()" rather than removing them to be compatible
5.6/6.0 and avoid any issue. You can also do a quick test in your script with
some echo of the memory used before the end of the script and see if the
free() removal has any effect.

Alan

On April 27, 2011 01:25:54 pm Armin Burger wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> in MapServer/MapScript 6 the various class methods "free()" have been
> removed. If I want to have PHP/MapScript code compatible with both
> MapServer 5.x and 6, the easiest would be to completely remove these
> method calls from the code.
>
> My question is just if these free() methods are still somehow required
> or recommended for MapServer/MapScript 5.x or if I can silently drop
> them without any drawbacks.
>
> Cheers
> Armin

Alan Boudreault