[mapserver-users] Problem with WFS Intersects filter on oraclespatial datasource

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Oct 25 06:06:33 PDT 2012

Ludovic Gnemmi wrote:

> Hi List,
> I always look for an explanation for my problem:
>
> Checking deeper in my logs i have found out that :
>
> - When using wfs gml:Polygon filter requests, polygon geometry is not
> passed to oracle SQL query. Mapserver simply send default layer extent to
> oracle. Which significantly increases the response time of Oracle on big
> tables.

This probably means that Mapserver has made a decision to filter the data later with some internal mechanism.  It is for sure ineffective and worth making a feature request.  Mapserver should use  SDO_ANYINTERACT with the polygon geometry (or perhaps with the bounding box of the polygon geometry) in the SQL query.

> - In the same time i confirm that "wfs_maxfeatures" is not passed  to oracle
> select when using Intersects query.

If Mapserver does not make spatial query from Oracle it does not make sense to use AND rownum<(wfs_maxfeatures+1) alone.  Otherwise Oracle would just return the first [maxfeatures] rows from the table while what you want is the first [maxfeatures] rows from the features selected by the ANYINTERACT with the polygon geometry.  Rownum can be passed only if the exact filter is passed also. Notice that it means that if the WFS query contains attribute filters then they must also be converted into Oracle SQL query if the maxfeatures cutter is to be applied on the database side.

-Jukka Rahkonen-