[mapserver-users] I've been accused of not using things the way they were intended, but . . . can a getcapabilities request be run through the MapServer TEMPLATE for output?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jan 28 07:02:27 PST 2013

All,

So, I was thinking about adding support for Raster pulling from AutoCAD work sessions directly.  We've had this capability in place for a number of years using MapServer calls to each layer individually.  I'm researching the idea of rebuilding the importing routines but with the added functionality of reading a getcapabilities call to flesh out the listing of the available layers in the server.  Yes I know there is a FDO provider in AutoCAD, but that is only available in Map and Civil, not regular AutoCAD (or ARCH, still??) Versions which we also support.

First thought was to build a XML parser as a separate web service, that would make the call(s) to mapserver.  This would output the data in a AutoCAD readable form such as AutoLISP.  Another thought was to read our GeoMoose MapBook, an XML file, for listing out the available layers behind MapServer, this has the advantage of using our existing tools and methods for access the data and it would be completely automated with the GeoMoose MapBook becoming the master data catalog.

Whatever comes of this will also be eventually morphed into a Feature importer (WFS, etc) as well, which we also already have in place, but in a manner that could be improved.

So, back to the question, can a XML return from MapServer be passed through a TEMPLATE to change the output?

Thanks

Bobb