[mapserver-users] LABELS - changing from single map to tiles and overlays - HOW?

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 09:59:22 PDT 2013

On 20 March 2013 17:49, Worth Lutz <wal3 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I’ve now got labels on my maps when zoomed out but my polygons have no
> labels if I zoom in away from the label location.
>
> I’m using:
>
>     PROCESSING “LABEL_NO_CLIP=True”
>
> Is this a fixable problem?
That's the aim of LABEL_NO_CLIP, i.e. only label a polygon at a single
geographical location to prevent the label from a single polygon
appearing on every tile if that polygon spans multiple tiles.

YMMV, but you might want to remove LABEL_NO_CLIP and use metatiles on
your tile cache (e,g: with a 2x2 metatile, your label would only be
rendered in one of every 4 tiles). If you aren't using a tile cache,
then there's no easy solution I know of.

> Are there any examples of getting labels with mapserver and openlayers using
> tiles and multiple overlay layers?
If you're using multiple label overlays, there's no way to control
collision between the labels from different layers.