[mapserver-users] MapCahe question -- Caching the first couple of zoom levels

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Nov 24 08:23:01 PST 2013

On 11/24/2013 10:57 AM, James_in_Utah wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to configure mapcache (from latest dev version of MS4W) and would
> like to cache the first couple of zoom levels of a very large set of USDA
> NAIP imagery.  I've tried using the minzoom and maxzoom tags in the tileset,
> like this:
> <grid restricted_extent="-180 -90 180 90" minzoom="1"
> maxzoom="6">WGS84</grid>
> but once I zoom below the maxzoom value I get no imagery.  I would like it
> to send the request to the source if it is beyond the maxzoom value.  Is
> there a way to do this?
> Thanks,
> James

James,

If I understand you question correctly:

You want mapcache to cache only zoom levels 1-6 and then handoff all
requests for zoom levels 7+ to the WMS to draw on demand.

Is this correct?

If so, I'm not sure that mapcache can to that, you may have to do that
in your client software where it has two layers: one for the mapcache
zoom levels and then another for the WMS requests.

The minzoom and maxzoom parameters control whether or not mapcache will
serve responses with data.

-Steve W