[mapserver-users] Enhancing MapServer performance with GPUs

Visit Hirankitti v.hirankitti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 14:50:05 PDT 2014

Dear list memers,

My name is Visit, a newbie of this forum. I have been using MapServer for
at least 4 years now on many research projects. It has served my research
projects quite well.

Recently I am using MapServer to develop a real-world enterprise web
application.
I am developing a web-based GIS application using MapServer to serve
thousands of users, and one of overheads of the system is on the map
rendering provided by MapServer.

At the moment the server I use to run MapServer doesn't have a graphic card
(i.e. GPUs), but I wonder if I really want high performance of
map-rendering from MapServer, can a graphic card (i.e. GPUs) equipped with
the server enhance MapServer's map rendering speed and hence improve its
map service speed?

As a graphic card contains hundreds of GPU cores, e.g. NVDIA CUDA platform,
and each core can compute and draw polygons in parallel, so I think this
can improve the speed of map rendering (if used with MapServer)
substantially. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks for your advice in advance,

Visit Hirankitti Ph.D.

Intelligent Communication and Transportation Lab
King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
Thailand