[mapserver-users] Raster Data

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Mar 12 08:03:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

Standard recipe is to use tiled tiff file with overviews, perhaps both compressed.

Uncompressed:
gdal_translate -of GTiff -co tiled=yes -co bigtiff=yes image.png image.tif
gdaladdo -r average image.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256

You may want to save space by making a compressed tiff. If it is aerial image, use jpeg compression, if a map, then LZW or deflate. For aerials it would look about like

gdal_translate -of GTiff  -co COMPRESS=JPEG -co PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -co TILED=YES image.png image.tif
gdaladdo -r average  --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW JPEG --config PHOTOMETRIC_OVERVIEW YCBCR 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256

-Jukka Rahkonen-