[mapserver-users] Layer with point from X and Y columns in

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Mar 13 03:56:30 PDT 2014

Hi,

There is another way by using a GDAL virtual format http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html.
But it does not really make much sense to have a spatial table in Oracle that is to be used for rendering maps without having a spatial index. Without spatial index the BBOX of the map cannot be converted into working spatial query from Oracle. The best you can obtain would lead to selecting the whole table for each pan or zoom. So I suggest you to put all your effort into contacting a manager in a high enough position and tell that the spatial index is absolutely needed. And when the manager puts the db admins into work, they can at the same time add triggers to populate the SDO_GEOMETRY fields automatically from X and Y columns after each insert and update. If you do it right, your manager believes that it was his/her idea and everything goes fluently and yields much better result than any workaround.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Jakub Štambachr

Hi,

I have table in Oracle Database that contains points specified by columns X and Y (The table also contains SDO_Geometry column but it's not always filled with data and I'm not at liberty to modify the table).

My question is: Is it possible to specify layers with point using the columns X and Y?

So far I have something like this and I need an alternative to replace the DATA

TYPE POINT
CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial

CONNECTION "isypoo/password at orcl"
DATA "shape FROM (select table.shape as SHAPE from table)"

I tried the following:

DATA "shape FROM (select MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2001, NULL, MDSYS.SDO_POINT_TYPE(table.x, table.Y, NULL), NULL, NULL) AS shape from table)"

But got the following error:

msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'mosty'.
msOracleSpatialLayerWhichShapes(): OracleSpatial error. Error: ORA-13226: interface not supported without a spatial index

Is there any other way of doing this without modifying the database?

Thank you for your help,

Jakub