[mapserver-users] Windows Installation

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:37:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM, trailway <trailway at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jerome, thanks for the comment "you should use the 32 bit installer as the
> packages are more up to date on this version".
>
> There are different set of packages available when you run the 32 bit
> installer versus the 64 bit installer.  You can see the differences here:
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86/release/
>
> In particular, Apache related packages only show up in the 32 bit
> installer.
>
> That seems very confusing to me.  My goal is to run this on a 64 bit server
> machine, e.g. Windows Server 2012, running in Amazon.
>
> Which installer should I use?
>
> If using OSGeo4W is not best practices then I'd appreciate that feedback.

I'd recommend running Linux on Amazon. It will cost less and mapserver is
better supported on Linux. But maybe you have other things that depend on
Windows.

Do you require PHP MapScript? If not, then I would recommend the
gisinternals distribution for Windows. It is always current (even nightly
builds) but it is built against an old version of PHP so it is not such a
good choise for PHP MapScript users.

--
Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com