[mapserver-users] Possible application questions

Joe Hogan joehogan at gmx.com
Sun Feb 26 20:54:38 PST 2017

Hello Steve

Thanks for your feedback so far.  It is slowly painting a picture for me.

Before we start the CRM DB, we need ot determine if a mapping software
can with with the CRM DB.  You seem to say this.

We do not want to start the DB in a software, only have to export it
once done, to a new DB software.  The Ma[pserver part wil be done once
the DB part is done.  Why, the budget is ready for the DB part, but not
yet for the mapserver part.

So, a simple scenario would be:

-My CRM database is populated with various data concerning projects that
we want to map out in Map server, including longitude and latitude.
This coudl include: year, budget, different project paramaters, etc...

-Mapserver is configured to be able to read the CRM DB.  There will be
various fields that will be searchable by definable fields in Mapserver.

-Mapserver is able to peruse through the CRM DB and grab the data that
it needs to display on the map, according to defined choices in our search.

-Mapserver displays the files that meet the given criteria.

This sound right?

Those points that are displayed, are they clickable?

IF so (for my project they need to be clickable, or the people doing the
search will not be able to see details on the files that meet the
criteria), how to we determine what is displayed?  If it is displayed,
we will want to display additional information that what query criteria.

Last question before I sign off.

Like I state, we are looking at  CRM to do this system.  It seems to be
much easier than building a new interface and database.  The CRM is well
advanced, very flexible, modifiable and a great price that fits our
budget.  By removing a few modules, it seems to suit the project well.

When we have a project in the CRM, there are hard data typed right into
the profile: name, year, budget, etc...

But, we also have data that is "linked" to the project, like: Companies
and individuals.   This is different from the hard data.  Hard data has
a field, and whether you enter something in the field or note, the full
or empty field is displayed.  For the "linked" style, there is a
heading, but if there are no "linked" files, nothing is displayed.  But,
if there are things to display, the page adjusts downward to accommodate
the entries.

Can we have Mapserver grab the names of these "linked" files?

Thanks!

Joseph