[mapserver-users] Bewbie question about MapServer and WPS

Petros.Likidis at scb.se Petros.Likidis at scb.se
Wed Feb 26 04:43:55 PST 2020

Hi all,
I have to warn you that I am entirely new to GIS and all the terminology so my questions might be strange. Nevertheless, my company wish to expose a service that receives a polygon as input and outputs statistical data about the area defined by the polygon. For instance, it could be the number of residents in different age groups, the average income, the number of companies divided by industry, etc.
The service will aggregated the statistical data on the fly according to input polygon. Then it will then preform some type of disclosure control of the aggregated data before it is send back to the caller. I guess that this service should be exposed as a WPS service or is there any other type of service that is more appropriate if it should be consumable from other GIS-applications?
If it should be a WPS will I be able to expose it through MapServer? If MapServer can do this or am I bound to use a specific programing language or can MapServer start an arbitrary program that dose the processing?
Kind regards
Petros