[mapserver-users] Question about importing xml/json data from api

Travis Kirstine traviskirstine at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:55:24 PST 2021

Liron,

Since MapServer is built with GDAL / OGR you connect to most common formats
without parsing, see https://www.mapserver.org/input/vector/ogr.html.
However this does not include hand rolled JSON / XML, if possible retrieve
GeoJSON or some other GDAL / OGR supported format from the API.  You may
want to go through an extra step(s) of converting the data to a format that
supports spatial indexing (like shapefile or geopackage) if working with
large datasets.  Most of this can be done using a shell / batch scripting
and command line tools (ogr2ogr and shptree).  BTW ogr does support direct
connection to some API - like an ESRI feature server which can make the
conversion "easy", however not all OGR supported formats work with MapServer

https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/index.html

Regards