[mapserver-users] serving WMS GetFeatureInfo to ESRI JavaScript client

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 08:54:17 PDT 2021

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I flailed with this for quite a while. I'm not an
Esri user and the vendor that I'm supposed to support is unfamiliar with
WMS. I was trying to follow an Esri example that was returning XML for
GetFeatureInfo requests but I was making a lot of (bad) guesses. In the end
I built a very basic app with the Esri JavaScript client that displayed
GetFeatureInfo responses in a popup. So I've proven that it can be done
which allows me to throw the ball into the vendor's court.

To sort of answer my own question, plain unformatted text with a text/html
mime type displays in the Esri JavaScript client (jsapi) attribute popup.
XML does not appear to be necessary or helpful.

Thanks,
Rich

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM Steve Lime <sdlime at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rich! I didn't see any replies to this email and I don't have any
> particular experience. That said, it seems to me that the vendor that is
> receiving the content would want it in some sort of presentation agnostic
> format so that they can apply a design, choose which attributes to display
> and so forth. So HTML doesn't make that much sense and standard XML/GML
>
> --Steve
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 5:31 PM Richard Greenwood <
> richard.greenwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I need to serve WMS GetFeatureInfo requests in a suitable format for an
>> ESRI JavaScript client. I'm asking if anyone has any tips or experience
>> they could share.
>>
>> I'm not developing the client. I'm serving the content to a
>> company that's used to using ESRI REST services and doesn't have any
>> experience with WMS. I don't have any experience with the ESRI JavaScript
>> client.
>>
>> From what little I've found so far the request is typically
>>   INFO_FORMAT=text/html
>> but the response is formatted as XML. Should the response mime type be
>> text/xml or does it matter? Is there an XML structure that the ESRI client
>> expects to receive or is that entirely up to the app developer?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich
>>
>> --
>> Richard W. Greenwood, PLS