[MapServer-users] Swig Mapscript Still Fails to Build with PHP 8

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 27 16:11:01 PDT 2022

Hi BG,

Thanks for starting this discussion here, as many other readers will
help & learn from your situation; I first want to wish you a warm
welcome from the MapServer community :)

As Seth mentioned, I spent a lot of effort setting up the automated PHP
8 + MapServer 8 builds "on the cloud", and some of those steps can be
used by you directly.

But to step back a bit, first thing to mention is that PHP 8 with
MapServer 8 is best handled through the SWIG library "master" branch,
and this is likely one of your issues (the Homebrew formula you are
using for SWIG is probably SWIG 4.0.x, and you need the upcoming 4.1.0
release, or build its master branch from source).

Regarding the SWIG 4.1.0 upcoming release (and its heavy demand), see my
call for help at
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2022-September/016881.html

Regarding you possibly compiling SWIG 'master' branch, you can follow my
exact steps to do this on these lines:
https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/blob/main/ci/travis/before_install.sh#L38-L47
(maybe other Mac devs can update those steps here in this discussion
thread for you)

I personally think all this will take some time before all packagers
catch up to these changes, to make it smooth for their users.  In this
case some time is required before the next SWIG can be released, and
then propagated to all those FOSS4G packages that we love.

Its for this exact reason that I have put almost my entire career into
MS4W, to prevent users from facing these same build challenges (and
there are many challenges, ha).

I'm not sure that I've helped with this response, other than giving you
some background info.

Don't be discouraged, you will indeed fall in love with MapServer :)

Thanks,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training