[VisCom] Nomination of Peter Moran to VisCom

Peter Moran peter.moran at autodesk.com
Mon Apr 10 15:39:22 EDT 2006

Thanks Michael. Some truth in advertising:  I don't have an MBA in
Marketing, but I am real-live and have over 10 years of on-the-job
training in product and web marketing.  Most of my experience is in
marketing commercial software products, so the open source angle is new
but exciting to me. We've been looking hard at RedHat and MySQL to see
how they perform the balancing act.

While my experience is in the commercial software world, I know what
it's like to work for small companies with limited resources.  An
example is a solo consulting business I started in Seattle in 1998
before coming to Autodesk.  I provided web marketing and search engine
optimization services.  To get customers, I would just visit their
sites, then write up and send an unsolicited review of the site vs.
competitors to the marketing honcho.  I quickly had all the business I
could handle, including Corbis, Marketwave (acquired by Accrumedia, I
think), and Chilisoft (acquired by Sun) in no time.  Yeah, it was during
boom times : )

Here at Autodesk, I came in to do web marketing for AutoCAD 2000 in late
1998 and spent two years in the Platform Technology Group.  Next came 5
years in our LBS division, helping to get that going and doing web and
product marketing (product naming, positioning, messaging, competitive
analysis, etc.)  Now I've spent almost a year in our GIS division doing
product marketing for MapGuide, which I've worked with before.

Hope this helps,

Peter Moran