[Viscom-dev] Conference branding advice

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 20 15:38:24 EST 2007

On 19-Feb-07, at 5:28 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Funding/Branding
> ============
> I've been talking with Milton Lofberg from Autodesk about how best
> to man and fund stands for both our companies and OSGeo.
> We would like to create an OSGeo stand and promote OSGeo, and at
> the same time promote our own companies, which include proprietary
> products.
> A couple of options open to us are:
> 1. Buy 3 booths. A Lisasoft, Autodesk and OSGeo booth.
> Problem: We might not have enough people to man all booths.
> Problem: An extra booth will cost ~ $US3000.
>
> 2. Buy 2 booths, Lisasoft, and Autodesk (probably next to each
> other). Create signs which say "We support OSGeo projects", along
> with an OSGeo logo.
> Problem: We would need to ensure our company supports OSGeo, not
> the other way around.
> Problem: The OSGeo community might not approve of this "watering
> down" of the OSGeo brand.
>
> 3. Buy 1 booth. Same as 2), but we share space.

Hi guys,
Thanks for thinking through this.  Any or all of these options sounds
fine to me.  Cross-promotion in a context like this is always
mutually beneficial in my opinion.  Unless OSGeo funds and manages a
separate booth, it would be quite natural and beneficial for
companies and individuals to represent the projects and make the
contacts.  Especially if you've made the effort or investment to make
sure OSGeo is represented!

In terms of watering down the brand, the only place that I think you
need to be careful is to not come across as an "OSGeo Sponsor" unless
you are one, like Autodesk.  Though we may eventually need to discuss
how companies can provide in-kind sponsorship by donating booth space
to OSGeo.

Would you also consider having/inviting other members-at-large come
and help with the OSGeo side of things?  That would help buffer any
concerns about self-promotion you may have.

My two bits,