[Marketing] Re: [Board] Re: Teach-in 2009

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Jun 1 13:00:26 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> Well, we are going in circles. Paul says "no policy", I say "please let's
>> define it first", Paul says "no policy", I say ... I'll stop that now.
>> Or we make it simply a board motion if we want or don't want a policy
>> before the first branded "OSGeo Teach-in" happens.
>
> Markus,
>
> Perhaps you would like to outline a draft policy?

Well, I have added notes/questions to
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Conference_Policy

This needs to be extended. Since I myself don't have all
answers, please hack the Wiki.

> I would be pleased if we had some sort of policy on this sort of
> activity before making a decision, though I don't consider it critical.

IMHO making a decision is already the first part of a new policy.
Once approved you cannot easily say no to the next request,
even if the proposed event would become a financial failure (which
I doubt). Anyone else could suggest to do better...

> My hope is that we can reach some conclusion on this topic at our
> upcoming board meeting scheduled for June 6th.  Till then it isn't
> necessary for us to reach consensus, though I'd appreciate folks at
> least getting their opinions out for consideration before then so
> we aren't hearing too many ideas for the first time in the phone call.

The Wiki page is open.

Markus