[Marketing] OSGeo sponsorship/participation in WhereCampEU

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 8 14:51:03 EST 2010

I guess the question is if we are at the point where we have enough
funds to sponsor an event as pure advertising. Looking at my shirt from
WhereCamp last year and the list of sponsors for this event, they are
all for-profit companies or government. While I do see the benefit for
us I'm just not sure we have the budget for an event like this.

One question is how many OSGeo related folks do we think will be at the
event anyways that could help talk to people about OSGeo (informally of
course based on the nature of the event) and could we just send them
some materials (pins or something of the sort).

It is a good target audience, though small in comparison to spending the
same amount for a week long presence at a big conference.

The bigger question is about our marketing strategy and if sponsorship
of events works for us on our current budget (probably not) but I
wouldn't rule it out down the line.

Anyone have a sense of if the local UK sponsors we do have would think
this a good use of funds?

Alex