[Marketing] Re: OSGeo Google+ Account

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 23:43:48 EST 2011

On 11-11-09 07:39 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hi Frank:
>
> Yes I did; figured I created the OSGeo thread on google wave; I may as well try
> my luck with google+.
>
> There is some evidence that several people can manage a page; but I have not
> found a volunteer to try that on. Do you mind if I try that with your google+ id?

Jody,

Yes, please do.

> - My thought was to have the page follow "charter members" and call it day.

For me it is an anti-goal to give special treatment to charter members
beyond their role as a group of voters.  I feel that it denigrates other
volunteers/members.  So I'd prefer we be more permissive.

However, I do not understand the point of the OSGeo page "following" people.
Does this allow their posts to show up on the OSGeo page?  Or is it just that
it makes them visible as associated with OSGeo?

> - The Pages such as OSGeo do list their followers; which is half the fun of
> people following a page like OSGeo.
>
> Thus far I spent ages trying to find (and then finally create) a square OSGeo
> logo; uploaded a few pictures; and filled in links to the website etc...
> - https://plus.google.com/101749668136525815391/about
>
> There are requests by google to cross link this post to our website with a
> goggle+ badge
> (http://www.google.com/support/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&p=direct_connect&answer=1711199).
> However the expected functionality (type "+Open Source Geospatial Foundation')
> already works so I cannot see the value.

I was contemplating doing that but hesitated unless we do similar things
for other social media.  I don't want it to be perceived that OSGeo is
overly pro-Google - particularly not when it would be a conflict of
interest for me - at least in theory.  But I do think it makes sense to
promote association with OSGeo via Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Linkedin
on the main OSGeo page as broader "social" strategy.

I really wish we could have one Google+ page which responded to both
+OSGeo and +Open Source Geospatial Foundation, but I presume that is not
possible.

Best regards,