[Marketing] Application for funds

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Apr 4 16:01:01 EDT 2012

Having an official looking banner, table cloth and other items (like
reference in these links:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Operate_OSGeo_Booth and
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2011_OSGeo_Booth) can really help a
local chapter by looking official, well organized, and part of a
larger international organization.  These items (provided by OSGeo a
few years ago in our case) have greatly helped the local PDX-OSGeo
chapter.  I think that Cameron's idea of a starter pack is a good one.

Greetings from Portland, Oregon.

Eli

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Arnulf, Daniel,
> The next steps for the (currently sleeping) marketing committee are:
> 1. Find out from the board how much money is available for marketing
> activities.
> 2. Based upon such allocation of money, specify a strategy on how this can
> be spent. Ie, what is considered in scope and what is out of scope.
>
> As background, conferences are expensive to support and sponsor, and each
> country has 10 or more key conferences they could attend per yer, and there
> are 100s of countries.
> Typically:
> * Booth cost for the conference, including a free ticket or 2, is ~ $4K. If
> you cry poor, you can sometimes get a booth for free.
> * LiveDVDs cost ~ $2/DVD, = $1K per conference. So far, we have only handed
> out DVDs to conferences where the conference organisor pays for the DVD (out
> of delegate price)
> * I'm not counting travel costs yet
> * So to support conferences around the world, we are looking at around $5K x
> 100 x 10 = $5 Million. I suspect we don't have that much spare cash floating
> around?

I offer a different opinion of the math based on our experiences which
are after a few years conferences often seek us out to give us a free
table/booth or even a whole track.