[Marketing] Marketing Digest, Vol 56, Issue 4

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 17:14:17 PDT 2012

Jeroen,
While I also have a mild preference for the term of "Ambassador" over
"Advocate", I'm very mindful that we have talked around this issue for a
long time without any action. I think it important that we wrap this up
so we can move onto other OSGeo opportunities.

So far, I don't believe we have had any major objection to allowing
OSGeo members to self register themselves, so that Conferences and the
like can find authoritative speakers. So unless I see a strong backlash
of opinion, I'm going to push ahead of the next couple of weeks to make
it happen.

A few more comments inline below...

On 10/06/12 01:45, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
> I'm not blocking the motion, that would require a -1.
Noted, thanks.
> I'm just giving a signal that I think the role is needed and should
> have an appropriate title which adds value to OSGeo from a marketing
> perspective. I doubt that Advocate does justice to that, also
> considering that all CM's are advocates to OSGeo by default. The term
> Ambassador has my preference honestly.
Agreed, but better to have Advocates than be blocked completely.
> It would have my preference if that role was indeed filled upon
> invitation. A majority (is that indeed so !?) is in favor of a more
> community driven, personal subscription process for such role. I'm
> happy to support that if that is the decision. And I see at that point
> no problem in giving them the name Ambassador. Our democratic process
> at that point kind of gives self proclaimed Ambassadors the chance to
> wear the title on OSGeo's behalf.

> Shouldn't we first vote on the way we select our ambassadors?
The process proposed is for self nomination.
This has been up for discussion for a month or so without strong dissent
(that I noticed). Also floated in the IRC meeting without dissent.

> Are they self proclaimed or are they proposed by the board (or
> marketing committee, some other committee)?
Self proclaimed, as per:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Process_for_becoming_an_OSGeo_Advocate

> If that is clear, we can define the details of the profile (there has
> been stuff written up already, that may need some changes depending on
> how ambassadors are identified). And we can define the best name for
> the profile.
> The most important is that we have an ambassadors program that really
> adds value to OSGeo and does not duplicate or degrades CM's

I see the "OSGeo Advocate Register" as an advertising space, primarily
for Charter Members, but which can be used by others as well.
I don't see it as a way to duplicate the role of the Charter Member, but
rather to enhance it.