[Marketing] two ideas

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 13 18:21:23 PDT 2016

Christian Willmes did an excellent job revamping the OSGeo Advocate page
[1] such that it now makes use of structured wiki data.
And once you have structured data, you can do cool things, like make an
OSGeo Advocate Map [2].

A start for sourcing data from prior FOSS4G events could be found here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_History

Christian will likely be able to refine this suggestion further.

[1]
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Process_for_becoming_an_OSGeo_Advocate
[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Advocates_Map

On 14/05/2016 10:55 am, Bob Basques wrote:

> On 05/13/2016 07:16 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Although it may not seem obvious I try and control my scope as a
>> volunteer (so I do not burn out) by only taking on one mad plan at a
>> time. Having wrapped up the working party on sponsorship, and
>> finished an osgeo talk at foss4gna I have two ideas to do within the
>> context of the marketing committee.
>>
>> I do not really mind which one is done first, is anyone interested in
>> helping out?
>>
>> *Community Event Map*
>>
>> I was amazed to hear about the size of some of the foss4g regional
>> events taking place in Europe. It could be I do not sign up to all
>> the lists ever, but I did feel uninformed and cannot imagine I am alone.
>> Idea: /Make an animated map of the regional event, with circle size
>> based on number of attendees, transparency based on how long ago it
>> was - similar to what is on the GeoForAll website for established labs./
> /Why not mix the two maps together.  Both the Geo4All and the Events
> maps.  either as an entierly new map, or as a mashup. Seems pertinent
> to see those layers next to each other.
>
> Also seem like it should be tied into the OSGeo news feed as new
> events are plotted.
>
> /
>> Approach: /I think we could either attract a volunteer or outsource
>> as a small contract. It is not quite as simple as a map as we need a
>> way to add additional events into the mix, and their attendance numbers./
>> - http://www.geoforall.org/locations/ (example map)
>> - http://www.opengeospatial.org/event
>> - http://tour.locationtech.org/2015/
>>
>> *Updated Service Providers Page*
>> Our service providers page (http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile) is
>> ... not very professional even though we are showcasing some amazing
>> organizations!
>>
>> While the groups listed here are not always involved as we may wish
>> they do often operate on the front lines of open source adoption. The
>> QGIS, GeoServer and MapServer communities point to a great way to
>> address both these issues - group service/product providers by their
>> level of participation in the community:
>> - *core contributors* take responsibility for some aspect of the
>> project (such as releases, documentation or maintenance); while
>> - *contributors* have shown the ability to successfully develop a new
>> feature on behalf of their customers (meeting community Q,
>> documentation guidelines
>> - *others *...
>>
> I've thought about this myself in the past, if the service providoers
> DB were to be set up as a WMS map for example, where it could easily
> be added to any viable consuming app, it would make it easy to spread
> the word via mapping, as well as a reverse geocoder for nearest to me
> queries.
>> It is also a bother that each project is having to maintain their own
>> page on this subject, setting up something pretty/consistent would
>> reduce overhead for our project teams.

> [...]

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft