[Marketing] content creation: home page and welcome pages

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 07:51:43 PDT 2017

In last week's meeting I was asked to replace the placeholder text on the
home page - and indeed this is my only personal goal for volunteering the
weekend.

Right now we have:

*Choose a project*
*With navigation to:*

   - *CHOOSE A PROJECT*

*Why open source?*
*With navigation to:*

   - *MIGRATE TO OPEN SOURCE GIS*
      - *OPEN SOURCE IN SCIENCE AND EDUCATION - explains geoforall and open
      geoscience work*
      - *WHAT IS OPEN SOURCE*

*Join our community*

*With navigation to:*

   - *WHY CHOOSE OPEN SOURCE*
      - *CONNECT WITH LOCAL COMMUNITY - covers local chapters and service
      providers*

Review:

*I am sure we made of some of these navigations quickly, but I like the
progression of ideas - and focus on people who are not part of our
community ... yet :)*

*During FOSS4GE some of the feedback / buzz around the conference was the
difference between "open source" and "free and open". And I felt that
feedback when presenting this website/rebranding project.*

*I would like to add something on "free and open". While I feel strongly we
cannot put "free and open" on everything (as was requested for brochure
feedback) because we have not introduced the term yet so it would not help
communication at this stage. I think the concept is important to introduce.*

*The "join our community" heading is the only awkward one - it is not
strictly speaking on point (focus is asking visitors to consider open
source for the first time). Still with our "open geospatial" component we
do offer more than just open source ... Going to see if I can write this to
be links to our Community > Welcome  pages. *I guess this is not
technically about the mechanics of joining our community - the goal is to
motivate visitors to reach out to us by sharing what our community offers
participants