[Marketing] Website / Rebranding Meeting May 3rd 2017

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon May 8 08:49:59 PDT 2017

On 7 May 2017 at 13:46, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

The best time to write a case study is after a project completes, when
> everyone involved is still around and can remember what happened. However,
> the project the case study is being written about rarely benefits from the
> case study (as the project is already complete, and there is not budget
> allocated for it).

Okay, the exception to this is when a service provider wishes to write up a
successful open source example. The service provider benefits from
showcasing their work, demonstrating their expertise to potential
customers, and can benifit even if the contract was completed previously.

Jeffrey also had a big discussion about content (to be hosted on the
website) vs resources (link to thinks like case studies, presentations and
white papers). If we expanded this to "resources" would you be happier
Cameron? Idea being we want *information* that can be used to inform
visitors on the use of open source spatial.

I may be spending too much time no this now (because it is both a risk and
interesting), when more specific information is needed to drive the
wireframe process.

You don't know who will be reading the case study and what they will be
> looking for.

This ties back to our visitor journeys, and trying to see what content is
required.

This discussion here is important as it clarifies what content is required,
tempered by what content our community is in position to provide.  If we
identify a gap, where content is required, but our community is not in
position to provide we have a trouble. We can seek alternate content
(searching for another tool). Before we go there I would like to consider
our network (members, service providers, partners) and see what content is
available to answer this visitor need.

> Will they be looking for validation that another company like themselves
> (research, medical, utility, government, ...) uses this technology?
> Will they be interested in the open source story, open standards story,
> one application, stack of applications, business case, technical case, ...?

Good examples.

> If OSGeo is building up a stack of reference case studies, how are you
> going to ensure consistent quality (which should be a requirement). This
> typically requires editorial review from a person (or team) against a set
> of standards. This is a long term time consuming commitment.

This is always a tension, let's see what can be done to help:
- providing a template (so if information is missing it is obvious to the
reader that there is a gap)
- a proxy for quality is currency (an excellent article form 2005 describes
an IT landscape that does not match todays opportunities). If we auto
expire information after two years would at least cut down on this.
- ask project teams to review/approve the content that is highlighted
- expand that to other committees, provide a limited number (say 10) that
geoforall could highlight at any one time