[Marketing] review: component 1 branding and online style guide

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:53:15 PDT 2017

I've had a quick review of the PDF Style Guide. Here are my comments:

* Can the Point of Truth for this Style Guide please be provided in an
Open format such that we can easily maintain it in future. Potential
formats: RST, OpenOffice, HTML.

/* Re: "The OSGeo primary logo ... MUST appear on all of our
communications."/

I suggest this should be changed to "The OSGeo primary logo ... SHOULD
appear on all of OSGEO's OFFICIAL communications."

Note: "Communication" is a very broad term, and could include project
email lists, skype calls, etc.

/* Re: "NEVER tamper with the elements of the logo or any of its elements."
/

This advise conflicts with sub-brand advice where the logo is changed. I
think we should explain the process for applying to change the logo, and
guidelines for what is or is not acceptable, and the process for
applying to create a sub brand.

Also, I suggest say "SHOULD" instead of "NEVER". We are not sure of all
future uses of this guide, and we should leave room for creative flair
and common sense of our community (who should be continuing to consult
with the Marketing committee, as has been done in the past).

* I assume the selected typeface is Open? (Apparently the last one was
not open). If it is open, we should state this in the guide, probably
with a link to where this is explained, so that future people can easily
work this out.

/* "Explainnation about using Google Webfonts in CSS/HTML"/

This statement seems to be a forgotten TODO?

* Re "Secondary Palette"

I suggest adding a sentence explaining why you might want to use a
secondary palette.

* "Keep some space between logo and text"

I suggest suggesting how much space (which might be a range).

* Can we please create Presentation templates, in particular, for
Powerpoint, Google Slides, and reveal.js - a JS powerpoint format, as
used by OSGeo-Live and others:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/index.html#/

* The Social Media section has a nice variant of the logo - we should
include this variant in the examples for Subbrands.

Cheers, Cameron