[Marketing] Website/Outreach Project

Scott McHale scott.mchale at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 26 07:24:32 PST 2024

Folks,

As discussed at the most recent marketing committee meeting, I'm noting my
thoughts and starting points regarding improvement of our outreach
capabilities via the website.

I'm not a marketing professional or website developer (or a GIS person,
oddly) so I am definitely open to thoughts, corrections, and suggestions
from everyone on my ideas and approach on the matter. My initial interest in
this change was specifically related to the process for gaining an OSGeo
UserId and how best to communicate both the instructions and the value to
potential new community members from varying backgrounds. Initial mailing
list discussion seems to suggest there's openness to addressing those
specific issues but also review whether there are changes to the website,
generally, which would also be of value.

My Intended Approach:

I will, on my end, take a lightweight Business Analysis project approach
recognizing this is a volunteer organization and will try to make the effort
as frictionless as possible for other contributors where I can. Obviously,
if we end up taking on a significant effort as part of an agreed solution,
more formality will make sense.

*	I'll need help to better understand the context

*	What we measure as an organization and what we consider success.

*	Product installations, project contributions/contributors,
membership, fundraising, other?
*	Specifically related to the webpages: page visits, sign-ons, other?

*	What internal and external stakeholders we need/intend to address.

*	Assuming existing and prospective sponsors, members, contributors,
and users (in addition to this committee and the board)
*	Any specific business/org types (gov, academia, specific
industries)?

*	What we're currently capable of as an organization in terms of
implementing changes

*	Constraints arising from org structure, technology choices, budget,
etc.

*	The market(s) we currently serve and whether there are specific
areas of focus or challenge within those?

*	I'm guessing there is a lot of this information floating around in
our current organization and membership, but I'm also open to reaching out
more broadly. I'll need help understanding:

*	Personas of our various stakeholders
*	Best avenues for outreach

Having these questions - and others you might suggest - answered will help
me put together a plan to dig in more deeply on stakeholder needs and then
draft a current state analysis speaking to what we're trying to do and where
stakeholders feel requirements are being met, or not.

>From there, we can agree a means for getting a few solutions - likely of
varying size and scope - to refine and prioritize.

Please always feel free to give me your very honest opinions on whether my
recommendations here are too much, too little, or just plain wrong. I'd
rather re-think the whole thing now than get started on an effort that the
team doesn't think can create real value for us going forward.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott.