[MDAL-Developer] Volume intrepretation

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 04:33:24 PDT 2021

Hi Martin and thanks for responding.

I should have said that I had studied that doc - and it does not actually
answer my question. I also looked at the UGRID CF definitions but they are
deliberately vague about this subject as well - suggesting two possible
interpretations.

This problem only really comes to light when you start thinking about
creating a 3D visualisation of the data.

The problem is that the doc has two interpretations, which are not
compatible and neither is properly represented by the data - viz:

[image: v2.png]  [image: v1.png]

I have chosen to interpret the data set as something more like this

[image: v3.png]

I think that is correct but it is not clear from the docs and seems a
little strange as a data structure