[Journal] Re: FOSS4G 2011 Special Edition

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Wed Sep 28 03:03:16 EDT 2011

Dear all,

my thoughts on the discussion about the journal:
(1) not all academics have a budget for publishing :)
(2) why do we assume that people want to pay for publishing and what are
the conditions? For example do we know what kind of effort will be
required and how much time it will take to turn the Journal to a high
impact refereed journal? Dan has already sent some interesting points on
that! For example at the moment we even lack (despite Landon's and
Tyler's tremendous efforts and all the rest of us who help as much as
they can) a coherent publication schedule!
(3) I think that the most important topic to be addressed is "what kind
of journal we want". It is a different thing (requiring different issues
to be faced) if we go for an academic / peer reviewed journal than a
magazine type, different if we want to charge authors, different if we
want to have ads and so on. Unfortunately I think that we are in a point
where we cannot have it both or all the ways.

Final note: funding seems to become a hot topic all over OSGeo
(suddenly). I fully agree that this is a sensitive and important issue
but I wouldn't like to see it overwhelming everything else (and I would
like to caution the Board on that - and my apologies for overstepping).
I think that it is not a very good idea to have every activity within
OSGeo look for its own funding, since we will most probably address the
same funding resources this can turn to a race for funds within the
foundation.

Best,

Dimitris