[Journal] Journal about

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Nov 18 07:43:45 PST 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Christian Willmes
<c.willmes at uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> Dear Journal Team,
>
> Regarding this discussion [0], I was asking myself what the OSGeo Journal
> is, or aims to be? According to the wiki page [1], it is defined as follows:
> "The OSGeo Journal is an open publication highlighting open source
> geospatial projects, software development, introductions to projects, news,
> event and other OSGeo Foundation updates."
> About the Journals about page we discussed in above referenced thread
> already.
>
> Anyhow, looking at the actual Journal contents [2] it is more or less the
> publication platform for the FOSS4G Academic track. Not much of other
> content. The last annual report is from 2010.

I think that Volume 11, Annual Report for 2011 was published too.  We
currently have two to three landing pages for the Journal, we should
look at making it only one landing page or more carefully keep all of
them up to date and matching.

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/newsletter/2014-April/001124.html

http://www.osgeo.org/journal
https://journal.osgeo.org/index.php/journal
http://www.osgeo.org/journal

> I think it is beyond discussion, that the Journal needs some care now, or it
> will die in the foreseeable future.
>
> I would really like to see the Journal alive, and (re-)evolve into an asset
> of the OSGeo foundation.
>
> For now, I have the following ideas to work on for improving the Journal:
>
> 1. Try to make clear (or promote) that the Journal is the basic publication
> for the academic track of (at least international) FOSS4Gs. (It is good to
> organize publication of FOSS4G academic track papers in a dedicated Academic
> Journal, like in past time in TGIS, or organize a Special Issue in a
> different dedicated Journal, but all the other papers, that don't get into
> those publications, should be published from OSGeo Journal by default).
>
> 2. Publish the annual reports as an own issue (every Year).
>
> 3. I additionally think, we should try to integrate with the Geo4All
> Newsletters. Geo4All publishes very nice monthly newsletters [3]. I think it
> would be really good to have one Journal issue a year collecting the (12)
> newsletter. Geo4All would name the editor(s) of this issue.
>
> 4. More ideas...?
>
> This way we would have at least 3 issues per year.
>
> What do you guys think? Let's gather some ideas and opinions on what we want
> to do with the Journal.

Thanks for starting the discussion Christian and helping on everything
else.  If we can get enough people working on the Journal and
coordinate with each other, then I think we can keep the Journal
going.

Best regards, Eli