[Oceania-Board] motions: let F4G Oceania 2020 access all Good Mojo funds

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 00:07:54 PDT 2020

I reckon as the architect of the programme I know how it got money :)

On point 1: Good to see that there is so far in principle support for the
conference to consume

...however, point 2 is required to actually make point 1 possible without
tying up volunteer effort in administrivia.

We can't know in advance what hubs will spend on, and we should step back
from gatekeeping around it - which we have discussed a lot, in terms of
'once the LOC is active the board steps back and lets it run' - which seems
to have crept a little to 'more board involvement'.  As a board we are not
nearly as well placed to make decisions about what works for locals at
hubs, or at 'conference central' in Fiji. We need to trust our community to
do what works for them, which might be a lot different from place to place
(eg assisting local travel fine in NZ, potentially not in Vic...).

Anyway - since the LOC draft budget is not yet approved I've suggested the
LOC provision a new draft for approval ASAP with a request for urgent
approval (they need to do things), and a good mojo spend of 'all of it'. If
this is how we need to enable the delegation of decisions about inclusivity
programmes to the people who are best place to make them, we should do it.

Cheers

Adam