[Oceania-Board] motions: let F4G Oceania 2020 access all Good Mojo funds

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:48:46 PDT 2020

Hey Adam

I think you're right, that the LOC budget needs to be finished and approved.

We have started receiving ticket sale income (Auckland, just one, $30!) and
this then raises other questions around budgets and about accounting (my
responsibility) that I need to get on top of.

I'm looping Jonah in here explicitly, because time is getting short and we
need to move.

Cheers,

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 17:08, Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I reckon as the architect of the programme I know how it got money :)
>
> On point 1: Good to see that there is so far in principle support for the
> conference to consume
>
> ...however, point 2 is required to actually make point 1 possible without
> tying up volunteer effort in administrivia.
>
> We can't know in advance what hubs will spend on, and we should step back
> from gatekeeping around it - which we have discussed a lot, in terms of
> 'once the LOC is active the board steps back and lets it run' - which seems
> to have crept a little to 'more board involvement'.  As a board we are not
> nearly as well placed to make decisions about what works for locals at
> hubs, or at 'conference central' in Fiji. We need to trust our community to
> do what works for them, which might be a lot different from place to place
> (eg assisting local travel fine in NZ, potentially not in Vic...).
>
> Anyway - since the LOC draft budget is not yet approved I've suggested the
> LOC provision a new draft for approval ASAP with a request for urgent
> approval (they need to do things), and a good mojo spend of 'all of it'. If
> this is how we need to enable the delegation of decisions about inclusivity
> programmes to the people who are best place to make them, we should do it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050