[Oceania-Board] [OSGeo Oceania] Endorsement by OSGeo Oceania

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 23:06:41 PST 2022

Hei Martin,

Thanks for pulling this out into the general discussion list. Perhaps a
good time to encourage anyone interested in governance of OSGeo Oceania to
subscribe to the public board list:

About endorsement, I don't see endorsement of companies or services as an
encouraging direction for OO or FOSS4G SotM Oceania.

Sponsorship benefits (display of logo etc) should not be seen as
endorsement, perhaps this should be explicit in sponsorship agreements if
it is not already.

I think it's fine for both OO and FOSS4G SotM Oceania to seek sponsorship -
otherwise both don't survive. In 2018 we discussed the ethics of
sponsorship, for example 'if company X wants to sponsor but is funded by
the arbitrary detention of refugees, should we take their money?'.

There was no good answer - the sponsorship agreement simply reflected some
values that we expected to see upheld, and sponsors had the opportunity
then to walk away if they felt they could not abide by those. Maybe this
process could be stronger / better defined - I know for me I would be
disappointed to see the logo of certain organisations flying high at an OO
(or OSGeo more broadly) event, because their actions are clearly dissonant
to the values of an open and inclusive community.

It was good to see what appeared to be a consensus that OO should not get
involved in endorsement [1], and I hope the same is true for FOSS4G SotM
Oceania.

With care from the high arctic,

Adam

[1]